02 Sep Finding Yoga has a volunteering space: yoga & research assistant
Finding Yoga is looking for a volunteer interested in yoga and rehabilitation to join our prototype project with Thrive Support Group for Carers. Thrive provide much-needed support for carers in the Gosnells area who care for a family member with a disability. The group has received a small grant to develop a course that provides carers with time out from the demanding role of full time care.
The ideal candidate is a yoga teacher, yoga teacher-in-training, or long-term practitioner, with skills in research, and interest in finding innovative ways to provide services that enable human flourishing.
- Assist in a series of yoga classes for carers, including helping participants feel at ease, providing guidance in how to use props, and supporting the lead teacher
- Participate in team discussions about challenges participants faced and how to improve the program
- Background research (e.g. internet search and literature review) into how carers currently learn to be a good carer, and how yoga can help them with their role
- Trained yoga teacher, or yoga teacher trainee, with at least two years of regular yoga practice
- Skill in observing how people feel and move, and ability to quietly and gently help them be at ease
- Methodical approach to searching for information and able to summarise information succinctly
- Inquiry and self-reflection
The project runs August – November 2015 and your time involved 28-40 hours.
What you will learn
This promises to be an exciting project that brings a well-researched yoga program to an audience that might otherwise find it difficult to access yoga. You’ll see how social enterprise can help address many of the social aspects to health, and how the model of Yogic Education is applied to designing tailored yoga courses. We also pilot two innovative workshops that merge health care with yoga and partner yoga, in order to help carers better nurture themselves while caring for a loved one.
Email email@example.com with up to 500 words about your interest in the position, addressing the main roles and skills. For more information and to ask any questions phone 0450 393 336.
Applications open until September 25 2015.